- The correct design for you. See our Try B 4 U Buy page.
- The correct combination of materials for performance.
- The most robust layup you can afford.
- The right fittings - seat, foot pegs, rudder,...etc.
JKK Kayaks has a world leading reputation for innovation and we are the first manufacturer in New Zealand to offer a Carbon Innegra layup option. We can confidently say our new generation Innegra kayaks have the best weight to strength ratio you can buy.
The most common materials used in the manufacture of kayaks are:
- Plastic - durable but very heavy.
- Fibreglass - heavy and relatively weak.
- Kevlar - a modern impact resistant fibre.
- Carbon fibre - extremely strong and stiff.
- Innegra - an alternative to Kevlar providing a better weight to strength ratio.
Carbon fibre is often used in combination with Kevlar to get both strength and impact resistance. Upgrading Kevlar to Innegra further improves this combination. The goal in developing kayak performance is to build boats that are tougher, stiffer and lighter. Innegra is a breakthrough material, achieving all three.
JKK Kayaks use only high performance epoxy resin. In our opinion polyester and vinylester resins are cheap alternatives.
Layup refers to the way materials are placed in the mould when manufacturing a kayak. The traditional layup method involves rolling mat and resin into the mould by hand. JKK Kayaks now offers a vacuum infusion moulding option. Vacuum infusion moulding produces kayaks with an even higher strength to weight ratio.
Vacuum infusion moulding requires special moulds and equipment. All the work is in preparation. When the resin starts to flow all you can do is watch and hope. Click Image for a larger view of resin flowing into the hull of the first Carbon Innegra Eclipse SS.